Is there anything that I can do to prevent my premium from increasing?
There are many actions with little or no cost that can be done.
Tip 73 – Armed Robberies – Staff Protection
As we enter the Christmas period I would remind you of the fact that it is at this time when burglaries, (forced entries), and armed robberies are at their height. It’s a considerable time since I wrote on this subject and so felt it was important enough to issue this once again. It is vitally important that you share this with your staff and to have everyone read and sign a copy to protect yourself against subsequent employers liability claims or indeed more importantly to protect your staff.
IN THE EVENT OF A ROBBERY/HOLD UP – SAFETY PROCEEDURE
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE SAFETY OF OUR STAFF AND CUSTOMERS TAKES PRIORITY OVER ANY POTENTIAL LOSS OF CASH AND/OR STOCK. AS YOUR EMPLOYER WE WOULD INSTRUCT YOU NEVER TO PUT YOURSELF, YOUR FELLOW EMPLOYEES AND/OR CUSTOMERS AT ANY RISK BY RESISTING ANY ATTEMPTED ROBBERY WHERE THERE IS ANY RISK OF ASSAULT OR ATTACK.
WE WOULD INSTRUCT YOU AS FOLLOWS:
- Try to remain calm
- Appear submissive co-operative. Speak only if you need to answer a question. Reply honestly and keep your answers short and precise.
- Advise that you only have access to the cash drawer and that you don’t have any access to the safe.
- Remember to do as they tell you so as to protect yourself and others.
- Keep your hands in view so not to worry the offender.
- The PANIC alarm should only be activated when you are satisfied that it is safe to do so.
- If possible observe as much detail of the offender, (shoes, clothes, mask, hands etc.), but please take great care not to endanger yourself and others in doing so.
- Once the offender has left close and lock the shop, call and await the arrival of the Gardai.
To assist the Gardai
- Note time of offence
- Note time offender left the shop
- What if any weapons were used?
- What was taken?
- Did the offender leave any evidence?
- Did you see what direction the offender went as they left?
- Did you see what transport they used?
- If there were any customers witnessing the incident ask them to stay until Gardai arrive or otherwise take their names and contact phone numbers.
Please remember that your safety, the safety of your work colleagues and customers is of the upmost importance to us. DO NOTHING TO PLACE YOURSELF IN ANY DANGER!
Note: Most robberies take less than one minute.
I THE UNDERSIGNED HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD THIS INSTRUCTION AND UNDERTAKE TO DO MY BEST TO COMPLY WITH THE ADVICE GIVEN.